Sewing Pillows For Catholic Charities

Group+posing+with+their+pillows+
Liam Whelan
Group posing with their pillows

On the first Saturday of March, junior Isaac Bean pursued a service opportunity to help benefit Catholic Charities. Along with many St. X students and parents, the group aimed for a goal of 50 pillows stuffed, sewn, and tied. Each Tiger had a designated role in groups and collaborated to get the job done.

Catholic Charities is a nationwide organization that strives to provide for those who are in need of basic life materials and services. The Catholic Charities of Louisville organization is urging people to help provide for the struggling refugees and immigrants who are seeking a life that is better than their past. Bean has answered the call and is seen as a hero for those who need help the most.

Isaac Bean ‘25 sewing a pillow for Catholic Charities (Liam Whelan)

This is the second year Isaac has brought the Praise Pillow service opportunity to St. X. Bean initially began the project in memory of his grandmother. She used to sew travel pillows for friends and family and felt the need to provide for others without expecting anything in return.

“Watching this continuous blessing of my grandmother until her death, I felt I had a right to continue her pillow legacy through our community,” Bean stated.

“Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.” Psalm 150:6. (Liam Whelan)

Bean hopes to continue this project down the road and spread his grandmother’s giving spirit. The Bean family strives to carry out their grandmother’s message through a Bible verse that is attached to every pillow that is donated. This service opportunity is always accepting helping hands, so the next time Praise Pillows comes around, feel free to pitch in and make an impact.

About the Contributor
Liam Whelan
Liam Whelan, Staff Writer
Liam Whelan is a junior at St. X and an avid college baseball fan that attends every Louisville baseball home game each season. As he awaits each upcoming season, Liam can be seen at Seneca golf course hitting the links with his friends. During the summer, he is a part of a travel baseball team as he goes around the state competing in tournaments for some hardware. Liam is a big family guy and enjoys spending weekends and free time with loved ones and his black lab named Boone.