Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Louisville Sports History You Should Know

Angelo Centeno
St. X playing Central in a copy of the school’s magazine, “The Tiger” Spring ‘21

Did you know that the desegregation of athletics in the state of Kentucky started right here in Louisville?

The historic basketball matchup between Central High School and Saint Xavier High School in 1951 marked the beginning of the end of segregation in Louisville and throughout the state of Kentucky’s sports industries.

Historically speaking, Central was established in 1873 as Louisville’s first African American high school to receive local funding. While Central offered sports programs at the time, they were segregated. Founded in 1864, Saint Xavier was a private, Catholic institution that was predominantly white.

At some point the principals of Central and St. X, Brother John Joseph and Atwood Wilson, joined forces and started brainstorming. After some discussion, it was decided that both institutions would play each other in sports in 1951.

“I think it was the whole question of this was the right thing to do,” said the late Brother Cornelius Hubbuch, a sophomore during this historic time, in a Courier Journal article. “As Xaverian brothers, we believe in the equality of people, justice, and trying to live and practice the values of the gospel.”

To learn more about this historic show down attached below is a personal reflection of this historic and momentous moment from Saint Xavier alumnus and former teacher Mr. Joe Kroh ’61.

St. X vs Central Reflection by Joe Kroh

About the Contributor
Angelo Centeno
Angelo Centeno, Staff Writer
Angelo is a vibrant, kind, and funny individual. He’s a huge fan of Xavier University and wants to attend Xavier after he graduates. His favorite teacher is Karen White (the GOAT). After obtaining his Theology degree he will begin his formation journey with the Xaverian Brothers.