Tigers Universal Man Club

Tigers Universal Man Club Logo
Photo used with permission of Mr. Ashby
Tigers Universal Man Club Logo

In the midst of our busy lives, it can become extremely hard to shift our focus away from our daily obligations. The Tigers Universal Man Club is precisely the solution to the hyper fixations we constantly stress ourselves with.

The Tigers Universal Man Club is one of the newest clubs at St. X. It was started earlier this year by Mr. Ashby, and it has already gained over 50 members. Its purpose is to create more well rounded students that have a wide array of skills in their daily lives, academics, sports and other aspects of life.

The Tigers Universal Man Club derives its name from Leonardo da Vinci, who was nicknamed the “Universal Man”. Through da Vinci’s work in anatomy, he became a better painter, and through his artistic creativity, he was a better inventor. According to Ashby, specialization is more promoted than versatility.

“The Tigers Universal Man Club challenges this notion and hopes to help students understand that you can be good in many academic studies, sports, and practices,” Ashby said. “The mastery of one helps you learn to be even more skilled in the other.”

The club accomplishes the goal of creating versatile men through its weekly challenges. Every Tuesday, a new challenge is posted for members to complete during the week. Examples of these challenges are: spending an hour each day of the week being physically active, writing in a journal five times, and watching a classic movie. After finishing the challenge, members of the club are expected to show some sort of evidence. This evidence is usually either a written response or a picture.

A weekly challenge of the Tigers Universal Man Club (Photo used with permission of Mr. Ashby)

“Students should join the Tigers Universal Man Club because it is a fun, competitive way of being faced with a new and unknown challenge each week and it helps them develop a wide range of skills,” Ashby said. “Students mature over time by continuously being pushed outside their comfort zone.”

If you want to join the Tigers Universal Man Club, you can either email Mr. Ashby at [email protected] or scan the QR codes for the club in the cafeteria or library.

The Tigers Universal Man Club Schoology page (Photo used with permission of Mr. Ashby)
About the Contributor
Bram Long
Bram Long, Staff Writer

Bram is a junior at St. X and is an active member in the Clay Club. Every Sunday night, he can be seen tossing bags with his dad at St. Pats, dominating the competition. When he is not up at St. Pats, his Sundays are spent watching the Bengals lose. He loves watching movies and playing video games, especially anything Star Wars related.