Alumnus Highlight: Jeff Dupre

Jeff Dupre (’87) is a successful filmmaker who has been nominated for multiple Emmys and Grammys since the start of his filmmaking career. His success arose from his talent for telling untold stories. His most recent documentary, “Never Let Him Go,” was released earlier this year on Hulu and achieved tremendous success. But how did he get his start?

“I didn’t know what I was doing, which is a good place to start,” Mr. Dupre said.

It all began in his senior year when he became the head editor of Xavier News. He had zero clue what to do or where to start. As his senior year continued, he became more comfortable. Through his experience at St. X, he learned how to work effectively with a team, a skill that would greatly benefit him later in life.

Dupre on board the USS Nimitz in 2005. He produced the 10-part Emmy-winning series “CARRIER”. He spent six months on a full deployment to the Persian Gulf in 2005, during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

During college, Mr. Dupre created films for the Peace Corps in Haiti that were relaxed and mostly for fun. After his Peace Corps experience, he attended film school in Germany, where he had the opportunity to learn and gain even more experience. Upon returning to the US, specifically New York, in 1993, he secured a job as a Production Assistant (PA) for a series called “The West.” The people he worked with and the experience he gained as a PA eventually led him to direct his first film.

“Their advice and suggestions enabled me to find my way and take the next step forward,” Mr. Dupre said.

In 1995, with the help of his former coworkers, Dupre created his first solo project named ‘Out of the Past.’ This project was significant for Dupre, featuring mainstream actors like Gwyneth Paltrow and Edward Norton.

As his career progressed, he had the opportunity to work with prominent figures like George Martin, the producer for The Beatles. Their documentary series, titled “Soundbreaking,” explored the profound influence of The Beatles’ music and how it forever altered the art of music.

Jeff Dupre on location in Sydney, Australia while filming the 2023 Hulu series Never Let Him Go. (Jeff Dupre)

Recently, Mr. Dupre created the documentary “Never Let Him Go,” which tells the story of a man searching for the truth about his brother’s death. Dupre had experienced the loss of his own brother, albeit under different circumstances, which gave him a deeply personal connection to the project. It allowed him to confront his grief and cope with something he had been struggling with for years.

For any St. X students who are pursuing their own endeavors, Mr. Dupre offers this advice: ‘Don’t be afraid to fail.’

About the Contributor
Jack Henry
Jack Henry, Staff Writer
Jack Henry, a St. X junior who is deeply passionate about soccer. He loves the Louisville Cardinals even when they suck. He is also involved with the Equine Club at St. X. Lastly, he loves St. X and the brotherhood.