Top 5 St. X Sports Moments of This Year

William Lewis

The 2023 and 2024 seasons brought success and memorable moments for the Tigers’ athletic program. Soccer clinched a state championship, swimming secured another title, and hockey enjoyed its most successful season to date. These represent the top five sports highlights of the academic year thus far.

5. Marlon Harbin’s catch against Manual

Harbin’s catch provided a thrilling conclusion to the game. This catch in person was a sight to see, being tipped in the air multiple times. Then finally being caught by Harbin who ran it in for a touchdown. The Tigers ended up losing this game in dramatic fashion; nonetheless, this catch has to be in the top five.

4. Henry Arnold’s overtime winner against Northern Kentucky

This moment will be remembered by the hockey team for the rest of their lives. This was the most competitive game of the season by far. The Tigers had to travel two hours away where many fans were following back home on twitter. The Tigers battled all game and got their chance in overtime. Constant pressure on NKY’s goalie allowed junior Henry Arnold to get a great shot on goal, top left for the win. This put the Ice Tigers into the final to go after their very first state championship.

3. TJ Kaskocsak’s penalty kick game winner against Ryle
This was not his first game winner of the post season, as he also hit one against Collegiate in regional tournament. Kaskocsak’s game-winning penalty kick against Ryle propelled the Tigers to the state championship. This goal, anticipated by many Tiger fans following the action on Twitter, provided the team with the momentum they needed to secure the championship.

2. Trevor Schubert shot on senior night

A shot the class of 2024 will remember for many years. This shot was nothing short of spectacular and made senior night even more special. To see more about this amazing shot click the link to read from our very own Joe Karem.

Schubert celebrates with teammates after hitting buzzer beater (photo used with permission from Jack Bates)

1. Johnny Crush breaking four state records in one meet
Sitting atop the list at number one is Johnny Crush’s remarkable achievement of breaking four state records in four events in a single meet. This extraordinary feat, marking the pinnacle of Crush’s swimming career and contributing to the Tigers’ 36th consecutive state championship, stands as one of the most impressive accomplishments in Saint Xavier history. 

Johnny Crush warming up before the finals session of the McCallie Invitational (Photo courtesy of Chip Dumstorf)
About the Contributors
Reece Mozzali
Reece Mozzali, Staff Writer
Reece is a red shirt freshman journalist. He is also a triplet whose twin brother also attends St. X. He is a huge Kentucky Wildcats fan who has attended 21 football games. Then is an avid pickle ball player with hopes of turning pro one day.
William Lewis
William Lewis, Photographer
William Lewis is an avid golf player. He loves to throw down a wager as he only plays good when there’s something on the line. He also believes UK will win the college football playoffs. He is extremely excited to get his max contract extension with the xavier news team.