Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Schubert’s Shot Heard ‘Round The World

Jack Bates
Schubert celebrates with teammates after hitting buzzer beater (photo used with permission from Jack Bates)

Senior guard Trevor Schubert is the lone wolf senior on the St. X basketball team. He has been constantly grinding and supporting the team throughout his four years of high school by being the high-energy guy. For his senior night against North Oldham, Schubert received the call, getting his first career varsity start as a Tiger.

In what was an awesome, emotional, and honorable tribute to Schubert before the game, you could feel the excitement and love from the fans filling the gym. The game started and Schubert was out there ready to go. He helped his team orchestrate the offense and played good defense in his starting minutes. After a quick stint, Schubert was subbed out, and it looked like his senior night minutes may have been over.

After a hard-fought four quarters against North Oldham, the Tigers built up a lead going into the last minute of play. With chants from the Rage Cage screaming Schubert’s name, he got put back into the game. He immediately made an impact when he got the ball and passed it up to his teammate, Jeremiah Jackson, for a crowd-roaring dunk. Now with little time on the clock, fans could tell Schubert was going to take the last shot. In a movie-like fashion with time counting down, Schubert caught a pass from Chance Dillingham on the wing and fired up a deep three at the buzzer. As the clock hit zero, Schubert drained the three and the gym erupted.

“It was a blur,” Schubert said. “I was really happy that it went in but I wasn’t really surprised. I shoot deep threes like that all the time and I just had a chance and shot it. I was jumping up and down and then I looked up and people were storming the court.”

Schubert made the most of his chance and created a memory that will last a lifetime.

“It was one of the greatest moments of my life,” Schubert said. “I think everyone dreams of a court-storming game-winner. Although it wasn’t a game-winner there was a court storm. I was really just soaking it all in when people were picking me up and then I got interviewed after the game. It was all really crazy and I would’ve never dreamed of my senior night to be that eventful.”

Schubert then went on to be interviewed by the local news, putting the cherry on top of his night. This was a special night that not only will he remember forever, but so will all of us who watched the incredible feat.

About the Contributor
Joe Karem
Joe Karem, Staff Writer
Joe is a senior at St. X. He loves hanging with the fellas. He is a 3x intramural basketball champ and a 1x intramural flag football champ. Joe is a massive U of L fan. He believes Lamar is the greatest player of all time. I have a Devin Askew poster above my bed.