Business and StoX Club: Preparing the Future Generation

Austin Zobel

The world of stocks is very confusing, but with help from Mr. Blaser and his Business and StoX Club, they become much clearer. In each meeting, Mr. Blaser and his club dive into the world of stocks to grasp how financial decisions affect our lives.

He started moderating this club in 2017 when the club was named the Economics and Investments Club. Back then, the club was focused on mostly investing. Now, the focus of the club has changed, focused on a multitude of things including entrepreneurship, business, and economics. 

The group debates, studies, and participates in stock competitions throughout the year, they also discuss which stocks to invest or drop and why stocks change. The competitions they compete in include the National Economics Challenge (NEC) and the Kentucky Stock Market Game. The NEC specifically is one of the biggest and most prestigious challenges of its kind. Over 10,000 students from across the country compete to earn up to 1,000 dollars by answering questions about economics. It seems simple, but is actually super complex and takes a lot of time. 

The club’s main focus is on the Kentucky Stock Market Game. Within the club, groups of three to four sign up for the competition and have 100,000 (virtual) dollars to spend on a mock stock market. With the help of Mr. Blaser, St. X has won the Kentucky Stock Market Game many times. Most recently, St. X won again last semester. Mr. Blaser displays these great achievements in his room with commemorative banners hanging across his classroom.

Presidents of the club (L-R): Sean O’Bryan, Andrew Kramer, and Tristan Hindorff (Mr. Blaser)

With over 80 members, the club will continue to grow. If you would like to join this remarkable club, email or contact Mr. Blaser at [email protected] for access to learn more about economics. 

About the Contributors
Jack Henry
Jack Henry, Staff Writer
Jack Henry, a St. X junior who is deeply passionate about soccer. He loves the Louisville Cardinals even when they suck. He is also involved with the Equine Club at St. X. Lastly, he loves St. X and the brotherhood.
Austin Zobel
Austin Zobel, Staff Writer
He is an aspiring botanist with an interest in both writing and photography. He enjoys listening to music, playing games and most anything involving the outdoors. His favorite food is cheap Chinese takeout. He’s currently involved in the swimming and theater programs.