Kemper Wins Catholic Inclusion Award

Austin Zobel
Mr. Tony Kemper in the Viscusi Learning Support Center

On Jan. 30, Mr. Tony Kemper was honored with the Irene Casey Catholic Inclusion Award. This award is given to educators, counselors or administrators that embody inclusive practices throughout the school day.

Mr. Kemper joined the St. X faculty in 2021 to lead the Learning Differences Program. He has contributed significantly to the students and faculty by leading the Viscusi Learning Support Center. Kemper embodies key Xaverian values, which has helped him foster a nurturing and inclusive environment at St. X.

At the annual Catholic Schools Week Mass, Kemper received his award with members of all Louisville Catholic Schools in attendance. The award is sponsored by the Archdiocese of Louisville.

“This award warms my heart because it represents that I’m part of a premiere team that’s providing care within a Catholic school to our students,” Kemper said. “We make sure that every student receives exactly what he needs to thrive here and those are the conversations that inspire me.”

Although Mr. Kemper doesn’t like to brag about himself, Coach Cotty was happy to do the bragging for him. Cotty, who works alongside Kemper in the Learning Support Center, submitted the application on Kemper’s behalf.

“He has brought a level of expertise in learning differences that St. X has never had in its 160 year history,” Cotty said. “He is a modern day Xaverian Brother. He embodies compassion, simplicity, humility, trust and zeal. He is continuing the legacy the brothers started 160 years ago.”

The entire school community is grateful for Mr. Kemper from his key Xaverian values to his hard work in the learning differences program. Congratulations to Mr. Kemper on this extraordinary achievement!

About the Contributors
Preston Dean
Preston Dean, Staff Writer

Preston is a senior and swims for the two-time national champion Tiger Swim Team. Outside of school, he likes to spend time outdoors and hang out with friends. He’s traveled to many countries around the world and is on track to see the seven wonders. While Preston is not traveling, he is trying a new restaurant in the city as an avid foodie.

Austin Zobel
Austin Zobel, Staff Writer
He is an aspiring botanist with an interest in both writing and photography. He enjoys listening to music, playing games and most anything involving the outdoors. His favorite food is cheap Chinese takeout. He’s currently involved in the swimming and theater programs.