Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Glaser Wins Ryken Award

The Theodore James Ryken Award was established since 1997 and recognizes an adult member of the school community who by her or his commitment and dedication lives the mission of the Xaverian charism of education. This year at our Feast Day Mass, Mr. Mike Glaser heard his name called by President Colistra as this year’s Ryken Award winner.

Glaser’s impact on the lives of his students and athletes, coupled with his exceptional skills in fostering growth and character development made him a fitting candidate for the prestigious award, recognizing his enduring legacy in sports and education. Having first walked through the doors of St. X in 1966, 57 years later he earned one of the highest honors and achievements possible at St. X.

Glaser’s 57 year career consisted of a 31 year position of head coach of the Tigers football team. With winning seven KHSAA State Championships, Glaser still recognizes the significance of the Ryken Award and ranks it at the top of his accolades received from St. X.

“The Ryken Award is probably the most meaningful award or recognition that I have received from St. X during my career,” Glaser said. “It embodies the spirit of St. X and the mission of the Brothers, which is to serve others, especially the most vulnerable. As a fifteen-year-old student at St. X, I lost my father suddenly and St. X was there for me! First of all, they told me not to worry about tuition! This was a God-send because we could not have afforded to send me to St. X once my father died.  More importantly, the teachers and coaches were there to support and guide me in a very tough time in my life.”

With the Ryken Award being such a high honor at St. X, it shows the importance of having help along the way, although being a giant of St. X, Glaser is no exception to this.

“Without a doubt, this award stems from the guidance and help I received while a student at St. X and then as a teacher and coach,” Glaser continued. “I have had some fantastic mentors during my time here from my brother, Bill, who coached me, became a father to me and then encouraged me to get into education and become a teacher and coach.  Many others from Brother Ed Driscoll, Brother Damian, and Brother Conrad to the faculty throughout the years.  I have the opportunity to work with so many fantastic teachers and coaches that modeled for me how to be a teacher and coach!”

Everyone in the gym jumped up and cheered when Glaser’s name was announced. Although the moment was undoubtedly and understandably about him, his inherent humility remained the same.

“When I heard my name, I was shocked and then humbled,” Glaser concluded. “To be recognized by an institution that I owe so much and that I respect made it a great honor. St. X is the STANDARD in my eyes and to be considered part of that standard is humbling. To be honest, I immediately got emotional and a few tears came to my eyes! To walk a walk of honor in front of the students that I love and have given my entire life to, meant a great deal. I came through the doors of St. X in August of 1966 and have never left. I have been a student, teacher, and coach at St. X since 1966 without interruption! It meant a lot! Fifty-seven years later, I am humbled to be considered worthy to be a recipient of the Ryken Award!”

Below are anonymous nominations for Glaser from the submission process:

“My nominee for the 2023 Ryken Award is Mike Glaser. Coach Glaser, currently in his 50th year at St. X, has served as teacher, head football coach, retreat leader, mentor, friend, and activities coordinator for many years. He brings unbridled enthusiasm to whatever his role has been, and continues to mentor, lead, and inspire students. While serving in many roles, he has been an adult retreat leader for over 40 years.”

“Mike Glaser is a faithful example of our school’s Xaverian mission, commitment to excellence, and high expectations. Flawed like the rest of us, Mike can be counted on for zeal, simplicity, and trust. His deep love For St. X is reflected in his care for his students, athletes, and colleagues.”

“Mike’s level of commitment to St. X is truly amazing. He has committed his life to helping students become the very best people that they can be in every way imaginable.”

“Mike has been at St. X over 45 years, coaching, teaching and mentoring our young men. Whenever we need something done, and he is asked, he rises to the occasion. When he retired from coaching football, he started assisting with the basketball team. Mike does whatever it takes to help St. X. He bleeds green and gold. He promotes the “brotherhood” better than anyone I know. For all the years of relationships he has fostered, I nominate Mike Glaser.”

“He has devoted a great portion of his life developing and guiding the young men of St. X. He has touched more St. X students/athletes than one can count.”

“Coach Glaser has dedicated his entire life to the mission of St. X and to Xaverian ideals. The number of young men he has helped mentor, form, and teach is well into the thousands. I am working a Xaverian Mission and Spirituality class through Boston College, and it is currently focused on the life and work of Ryken. Coach Glaser shares Ryken’s indomitable spirit and his drive to work with and inspire young people. His ability to help his players and students realize their own value, and to help them take pride in all the ordinary, unspectacular things they do, make him overwhelmingly deserving of this honor. I have nominated him for this award multiple times, and I am very surprised and dismayed that he still has not won it.”

About the Contributor
Clay Robinson
Clay Robinson, Staff Writer

Clay is a junior who plays volleyball for St. X. In his free time Clay likes to play golf, watch sports and hangout with his buddies. Clay’s favorite sports teams are the Packers, Cavs and the Louisville Cardinals. With the 2023/2024 intermediate season approaching, Clay and the C team Holy Trinity Eagles are ready to get revenge and win the chip.