St. X Swimmers Take Their Talents to the Next Level

St. X is known to many around the nation for their excellence in various sports. The St. X Swim and Dive Team is no exception to the reputation. The team has acquired two national championships in the past three years, and they are aiming to win a third national championship this season.

On top of this, comes the glory of swimming on the college level. That feat will be reached in the coming years by two St. X juniors, Thomas Mercer and Alex Thiesing, and senior Noah Benton, along with senior Johnny Crush, who committed last year. All outstanding members that bring everything to the table for the team.

Mercer has committed to the University of Virginia along with other top recruits in his class. Thiesing will attend the University of Michigan, and Benton will be taking his talents to Saint Louis University. All of these swimmers have been named NCSA champions throughout their swimming careers. Both Thiesing and Mercer have been named state record holders in the freestyle relay, and other individual events.

Whether it be freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, or butterfly, these swimmers have put themselves onto the national swimming spotlight due to their resounding performances.

Thiesing, Mercer, and Benton’s commitment posts 

Why did you commit to the college that you did and what made it the right fit?

Noah Benton: I chose SLU (Saint Louis University) because I love both the swim team and the school. The swimmers and coaches on the team were super nice and welcoming to me. Also, SLU has a great Aviation program, which is what I intend to study in college.

Thomas Mercer: I chose Virginia because of the coaches, academics, and the opportunity to build the best program in the nation. Me and others people who were infested in Virginia knew we had an opportunity that no other class before had, the ability to make the fastest recruiting class ever. After realizing this it was pretty evident to us that we were going to go to the same school. It was the question of where, and Virginia ended up being that place.

Alex Thiesing: Michigan is a great academic school that fits my major, engineering. I’ve always been a Michigan fan and have lots of family around the area. I loved the team and I fit well with the program.

About the Contributors
Miller Kron
Miller Kron, Staff Writer
Miller is a junior at Saint Xavier and a loyal Louisville Sports and Chicago Cubs fan. He plays on the football team and likes to model his game off of people like Chris Johnson and Dri Archer. He believes Rick Pitino is the greatest college basketball coach in history. He also likes watching anything sports related on TV, especially College Football and the MLB.
Charles Wiebe
Charles Wiebe, Staff Writer

Charles is a senior at Saint Xavier and loves to develop his creativity through his passion for music. Many refer to him as the ‘Magic Man’ likely due to his astonishing career in the classroom and out on the field. He loves hanging out with his buddies and having a good time. He is anticipated to participate in senior fun such as going to football, basketball and soccer games and doing everything he can with the Tigers!