Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Rocket Roar: St. X and Assumption’s Charity Lacrosse Game

On Nov. 16 at St. X at 7:00 p.m., Saint Xavier and Assumption High School will face off in their first annual Rocket Roar, a charity lacrosse game to help raise money for the Home of the Innocents. This event was set up by Aimee Cherry, one of the Assumption player’s moms, and Elizabeth Turner, one of the of the St. X player’s moms.

“We selected this charity event with the intention of fostering a stronger bond between the two schools, which are known as brother and sister schools,” Cherry said. “We believe that organizing a charity event and inviting both schools to participate is an excellent way for students to give back to their community while also building relationships in a team atmosphere.”

The entrance fee is five dollars and all proceeds of the game will be donated to the Home of the Innocents (HOTI). Founded in 1880, the HOTI has enriched the lives of children and families with hope, health, and happiness. They provide many programs including foster care, adoption services, supportive services for homeless young adults, and long-term care for medically complex or terminally ill children.

“For many children, this is where hope begins,” Cherry said. “The goal of this event is to raise awareness for the HOTI. We are collecting monetary funds as well as items of need. This is a very important charity and we are hoping to raise awareness about this issue in our society.”

The organizers of the game are hoping for a large number of students to participate in this event, donate generously, and support both schools with enthusiasm.

“It is a friendly game that is not based on competition, but on the spirit of giving to charity and the realization that both schools can achieve a common goal,” Cherry said. “So, let’s celebrate the spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood on November 16!”

Photo courtesy of M. Haas
About the Contributors
Carter Townsend
Carter Townsend, Staff Writer
Carter is a senior at St. X who is on the lacrosse team. Carter is an avid cards player who often wins money from his friends in poker and blackjack. He enjoys many outdoor sports like hunting, fishing and kayaking. On the side, he enjoys playing golf as much as he can and his dream is to play Pebble Beach.
Ethan Donlon
Ethan Donlon, Staff Writer
Ethan Donlon a man of unbelievable skill on the rugby pitch, assisting the team to the state championship. He’s a citizen of Big Blue Nation. He enjoys listening to many genres of music such as country and rap. An intermediate basketball star, he averages a double-double of points and fouls.