Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Inaugural Crew Season Review

This year marked the inaugural season for the Saint Xavier crew team. Founded by Coach Cody, Coach Riley, and Coach O’Neil, the first few practices had surprisingly large turnouts, including members of the Xavier News.

The Louisville Public Boathouse assisted the team by allowing them to operate from there, providing the supplies and location needed to grow.

The rocky first few weeks of the team’s development revealed how challenging the sport truly was. However, it also highlighted the determination of the rowers to learn and excel. Some days were tougher than others, but the team continued to make progress as the weeks went by.

“This season, I believe we’ve laid a strong foundation for future rowers and established valuable traditions within the team,” sophomore Coxswain Peter Pham said. “The most significant highlight of the season has been watching everyone become stronger, getting to know each other, and growing as students of Saint Xavier.””

Following the team’s introduction to the sport in mid-September, the first regatta of the season was held. Racing in the novice group, the team placed 6th out of 12 in the 5k race. For the first official race of the season, this is a very positive outcome.

Two weekends ago, the team had the opportunity to travel to Cincinnati, Ohio, and practice with multiple teams across the region. The team had an amazing opportunity to race against some top-level teams along the Ohio River and gain much-needed race practice.

As the finale to the season, the team went to Columbus, Ohio. While they didn’t race as well as in Nashville, placing 13th, they still performed exceptionally on a challenging course despite rough weather.

The team is excited to begin their winter season consisting of conditioning and virtual crew meets, keeping them active in the offseason. Following the winter, they will dive right into their spring season of more competitive and aggressive racing. With a solid team foundation and excellent performances in their first year, the future looks very bright for the Saint Xavier Crew Team.

About the Contributor
Logan Shearer
Logan Shearer, Staff Writer
Logan is a senior on the crew team. He likes listening to music, old and new, and his favorite color is blue. He enjoys spending time with his friends and watching football.