Glaser: Everyone’s Coach

Arguably one of the most historic names at St. X is coach Mike Glaser ’70, who has coached football and basketball here at St. X for seemingly all of his life. He of all people understands the ‘art’ of coaching.

“Coaching to me is helping people reach their dreams and goals,” Glaser said. “A coach should be helping others to become CHAMPIONS in everything that they do.”

Coach G has won seven KHSAA state titles and is working to push the basketball team to their first in 62 years. Winning the LIT (Louisville Invitational Tournament) in their previous season, the basketball program seems to be set up for the future. Coach G’s coaching style is extremely unique and it’s built on selflessness.

“I want our players and coaches to know that I will do everything for them and the good of the team,” Glaser said. “I want them to know that my job is to help them be a great person, player, and teammate. My coaching style has always been selfless.”

Growing up, Coach Glaser’s biggest role model was his brother Bill, who was a coach at the University of Kentucky.

“My two favorite [coaching] role models other than Bill [brother] are Bill Belichick and Nick Saban,” Glaser said. “They both made the team the most important aspect and they both believed in the process more than the outcome…”

Personally, I have not been coached by Coach Glaser. However, I have felt his presence known around the school, field, and court. I have noticed he always pushes others to get better, if it’s pulling a player over to the side and having a heart to heart, or yelling intensely at players in the weight room. Most importantly, he wants the best for others before himself. He is the definition of a “coach.” He’s a mentor for others. Truly, everyone looks up to Coach G, and if you are involved with St. X, you’re on his team.

About the Contributor
Eli Winsted
Eli Winsted, Staff Writer
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nah, it’s just Eli. He’s a goat between the foul poles, an avid “sneakerhead,” finds enjoyment in watching Black Panther, and dabbles with a fresh glass of lemonade once in a while. He makes a living playing fantasy football, making $700 this year on that alone, and spends most of his days in his tiny Ford Fiesta driving to the Hoosier state to visit his lovely girlfriend.