Tigers Look to Defend the Shillelagh

William Lewis
Tigers celebrate after the win against Trinity last year.

The time has finally come for the Game of the Year: Saint Xavier versus Trinity at L & N Federal Credit Union Stadium.

St. X has won two years in a row and is looking to extend the winning streak to three. The historic rivalry series started back in 1956 and this Friday will be the 91st time these two rivals face off.

The Tigers come into the game 3-1 and the Shamrocks come in 2-3. The Tigers suffered their first loss to Elder (Cincinnati) 21-31 last Friday and Trinity is coming off of their third loss to Male 20-37.

Defense huddled up listening to Coach Lyons (Bisig Impact Group)

The Shamrocks look to bounce back starting with their offense. They are led by senior running back Clint Sansbury. He has rushed for 416 yards on 75 carries with seven touchdowns. Trinity has gone with freshman quarterback Zane Johnson who has looked good so far, but has shown his inexperience at times as well. Johnson has passed for 637 yards, seven touchdowns, and four interceptions with a completion percentage of 55. The standout Shamrock receiver is junior Jeremiah Lynn. He has caught five touchdowns on 22 catches with 299 yards.

Trinity’s defense is returning eight starters and is led by senior Brady McEnaney and Andrew Davis. McEnaney has four sacks, nine tackles for loss and 22 tackles while Davis has 22 tackles and five tackles for loss.

The Tigers are led by their offensive weapons and defensive prowess. The Tigers are looking to attack through the air with senior quarterback Trevor Havill and his stud wide receivers.

Trevor Havill has passed for seven touchdowns, four interceptions, 714 yards with a completion percentage of 63. Havill’s passing performances couldn’t be accomplished without two of his wide receivers Cameron Hollaway and Marlon Harbin. Hollaway has caught 13 passes for 182 yards and four touchdowns. Harbin has caught 19 passes for 189 yards and one touchdown.

Cam high points the ball high and makes the catch. (Captured by Coop)

The Tigers’ ground and pound game is also strong with Davis Yates and Manny Gray. Yates has rushed for 243 yards and one touchdown while Gray has rushed for 193 yards and one touchdown as well.

Finally, the Tiger defense, unlike the Shamrocks, only returns three starters: Ashton Jones, Sam Crum and Tyler Neal. Jones has 23 tackles and five tackles for loss, Neal has 24 tackles and five sacks with nine tackles for loss and Crum has one interception and 30 tackles.

On Friday night, the packed stadium and specifically the two student sections will show why this is the Game of the Year.

About the Contributors
Reece Mozzali
Reece Mozzali, Staff Writer
Reece is a red shirt freshman journalist. He is also a triplet whose twin brother also attends St. X. He is a huge Kentucky Wildcats fan who has attended 21 football games. Then is an avid pickle ball player with hopes of turning pro one day.
William Lewis
William Lewis, Photographer
William Lewis is an avid golf player. He loves to throw down a wager as he only plays good when there’s something on the line. He also believes UK will win the college football playoffs. He is extremely excited to get his max contract extension with the xavier news team.