Tiger Baseball Targets Tenth Title

March 9, 2023

After taking home the state championship last season, the Tigers main goal this season is to take home the program’s tenth state title, which would be program’s first time going back-to-back in history. The Tigers are ranked in the top-40 by both Perfect Game and MaxPreps in this year’s pre-season rankings and plan on climbing the ladder.

“My goal for this year’s team is to keep staying focused on bettering our team and not being satisfied. It is very easy to become complacent after winning state last year, but the feeling of going back-to-back is something I can’t even imagine and what we need to strive for,” senior shortstop Landon Akers said. “Going to Cary, North Carolina and playing high competition like Brother Rice is going to challenge us a lot this year, and although we might not have a stellar record for the regular season, it will prepare us for our postseason.”

Landon Akers flips the ball to second (M. Haas)

The team will rely heavily on pitching firepower from Louisville commits Ty Starke and Jake Gregor. Last season, Starke put up 67 strikeouts in 45.1 innings pitched and Gregor had 47 strikeouts in 53.2 innings pitched.

Pitching isn’t the thing the Tigers rely on. Landon Akers (Bellarmine) and Cooper Smith (Troy) have been three year varsity starters. Last season, Cooper Smith batted an impressive .460, along with three home runs, 28 RBIs and a staggering 13 triples.

Jake Gregor has been a force on the mound and is looking to have a monster junior season (M. Haas)

A huge loss for the team this year is the big bat of Jake Bennett. Last season, Bennett led the team with 14 home runs, and 61 RBIs.

“I would say this year’s group is intriguing,” senior infielder Cooper Smith said. “Our lineup will have a lot of returning starters, but there are some spots kind of up for grabs, so there’s definitely going to be some new faces in the lineup this year.”

Cooper Smith looks to stay hot at the plate this season (M. Haas)

The Tigers open their season with a game against Lafayette High School on March 14. Get out to Carl and Rose Mueller Field to support the team!