Eli Stephenson (‘23) wins SEC Championship

William Lewis
Eli Stephenson ‘23 celebrates a point

As a freshman playing sixth court singles in college tennis is impressive in itself, but helping the team win the SEC Tournament is an even bigger honor.

Very rarely does a freshman clinch an SEC Championship, and it’s even rarer for that player to be from the team’s home state. Recent St. X alumnus Eli Stephenson, a two-time KHSAA singles champion, began the first set trailing 2-5 against South Carolina senior Carter Morgan. However, this deficit didn’t deter the star freshman; he fought back and brought the set to 6-6.

A tiebreak would determine this intense first set, which Stephenson would win 7-4. As the second set began, the pressure mounted with Kentucky leading 3-2. They needed four points in total to secure the championship. The second set belonged entirely to Stephenson, as he won 6-3, securing Kentucky’s fourth point and clinching the SEC Championship.

Kentucky now looks to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. The selection show is set for Monday, April 29.

About the Contributors
Trey Mozzali
Trey Mozzali, Editor
Trey Mozzali is a senior and a part of Ryken Service Club. He has a found a new found passion for pickle ball this summer and accepts any wager matches. He is a huge Kentucky Wildcat fan and can’t wait to tailgate and listen to country music. He is excited to promote all things St. X and write about new ideas.
William Lewis
William Lewis, Photographer
William Lewis is an avid golf player. He loves to throw down a wager as he only plays good when there’s something on the line. He also believes UK will win the college football playoffs. He is extremely excited to get his max contract extension with the xavier news team.