The Road Back: Alvaro Gonzalez

Soccer state champion Alvaro Gonzalez has signed with The University of Transylvania after missing his senior year due to injury.

The journey to college soccer was never easy for Gonzalez. The senior who earned First Team All-State his junior year, also suffered a near career ending injury after his best season yet, a very important time of the college recruitment process. The same injury that would leave him watching his team win the state championship from the sideline his senior year.

Coach Nichols coaches Alvaro Gonzalez (William Lewis)

Despite the major setback that made the road difficult, his original love for the game and those around him fueled him in his journey back. 

“After my surgery, I reached a point where I was quite low spirited,” Alvaro said. “I was very devastated as I was playing at a high level and had been looking forward to my senior year season since I was young. My family and friends helped me through these tough times.”

Alvaro competing in a competitive match (William Lewis)

Alvaro knew the road back would be tough and especially the college commitment process but he persevered. Amidst a long and difficult rehabilitation process, Alvaro continued his college search and found his new home for this fall.

“I’m very excited to get started at Transylvania because they have a great competitive culture and a coach and a team that value each other,” Alvaro said.

Alvaro is beyond ecstatic for the chance to live out his life-long dream of playing soccer at the next level and especially at a program like Transy.

About the Contributors
Davis Nichols
Davis Nichols, Staff Writer
Davis Nichols is a part time ultimate frisbee legend and full-time hockey player. Ever heard of Wayne Gretzky? Davis isn’t that good, but he is pretty good. Davis also partakes in catching hogs (really big fish) in ponds. L’s Up.
William Lewis
William Lewis, Photographer
William Lewis is an avid golf player. He loves to throw down a wager as he only plays good when there’s something on the line. He also believes UK will win the college football playoffs. He is extremely excited to get his max contract extension with the xavier news team.