In Memory of Toby Keith

Playing to the base: Toby Keith sings at Camp Buehring during his ‘Live In Overdrive’ USO tour (Photo courtesy of 4th Battalion, 118th Infantry Regiment, Sgt. 1st Class Raymond Drumsta)

Toby Keith, one of my personal favorite country singers from the 90s, passed peacefully last night on Feb. 5, surrounded by his family. Keith has affected our country music community with his musical talent and this is a very big loss for the whole musical industry.

Toby Keith spent the last six months recovering from his battle with cancer and trying to get back to preforming and making music. During this time, he took songs from his past and re-recorded them. This album is called the “100% Songwriter.” Toby Keith was the artist who got me listening to 90s country and this style of music.

Keith has had 20 number one hits with us first being “Shoulda Been a Cowboy” in 1993 while being a part of the Mercury Records. In memory of Toby Keith, here is a list of my top five favorite songs. They are all linked to Spotify!

5) American Soldier

4) How Do You Like Me Now

3) As Good As I Once Was

2) Should’ve Been a Cowboy

1) Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue

About the Contributor
Ethan Donlon
Ethan Donlon, Staff Writer
Ethan Donlon a man of unbelievable skill on the rugby pitch, assisting the team to the state championship. He’s a citizen of Big Blue Nation. He enjoys listening to many genres of music such as country and rap. An intermediate basketball star, he averages a double-double of points and fouls.