Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

NFL Conference Championship Predictions

Four teams remain in the hunt for Super Bowl LVIII, and by Sunday night two teams will be preparing for the game of the year. These two teams will be competing for a Super Bowl on Feb. 11…

Ravens vs. Chiefs 3 p.m. ET (Ravens 38 – 27)

The Baltimore Ravens put on a dominant performance in their 34-10 divisional round victory over the Houston Texans. Lamar Jackson’s electrifying second half display proved crucial in securing the win. With Mark Andrews returning from injury, the Ravens now have two elite tight ends in him and Isaiah Likely, which will undoubtedly add another dimension to their offensive game plan. Marlon Humphrey, who was a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice, is expected to play against the Chiefs.

Despite reaching yet another AFC Championship game, the Chiefs will face a different kind of challenge in the Ravens’ formidable defense. Patrick Mahomes’ experience may give him the edge over Lamar Jackson, but the Chiefs have yet to face a defense as formidable as Baltimore’s this season. Although both Willie Gay and Isiah Pacheco sustained injuries during the divisional game, they are expected to play. The Chiefs’ offense will have to rediscover their earlier form if they want to overcome the top defense in football.

49ers vs. Lions 6:30 p.m. ET (Lions 31 – 30)

The San Francisco 49ers, considered one of the league’s top teams all season, have shown some cracks in recent games. Wide receiver Deebo Samuel suffered a shoulder injury during their game against the Packers, putting his availability in question for the game against the Detroit Lions. Samuel’s versatility as an offensive threat makes him an X-factor for the 49ers, so his absence would put additional pressure on running back Christian McCaffrey to step up. The onus will be on quarterback Brock Purdy and the 49ers’ offense if they are to make it to the Super Bowl.

The Lions have defied expectations this season, and their presence in the NFC Championship is a testament to their grit and determination. However, they will be without backup tight end Brock Wright, a consistent performer on short downs throughout the season, including the crucial third down conversion against the Buccaneers. The Lions will need to execute at their best if they hope to move on to the Super Bowl on Feb. 11.

About the Contributor
Patrick Masterson
Patrick Masterson, Staff Writer
Patrick Masterson is a varsity lacrosse player. Patrick also enjoys watching the Baltimore Ravens, Louisville Cardinals and Notre Dame Fighting Irish. He is also a Star Wars advocate, and his favorite movie in the series is "Revenge of the Sith". Another interesting milestone about him is that he is notoriously known for catching the biggest bass at Sawmill Lake in Indiana.