Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Two Senior Golfers Continuing in College

Parker Conover and Ty Ruttinger are officially taking their talents to the next level. Parker committed to Division II Kentucky Wesleyan and Ty committed to Division III Transylvania University. These are exciting times for the senior golfers and a lot when into these decisions.

What excites you about moving on to the collegiate level?

Conover: Playing with people that have the same goals as I do and improving every day. Growing my game and taking the next step in my golf career.

Ruttinger: Definitely the traveling experience. Transy has a great schedule that travels a lot and that’s what excites me the most for sure.

How has your golf journey been so far? 

Conover: My journey has been great and it’s taught me so many lessons. It’s taken a lot of hard work, dedication and a lot of patience to get where I’m at. What stands out to me is it took two years into playing golf to win my first tournament.

Ruttinger: My journey has been filled with ups and downs. It has been very frustrating at times but very rewarding too. The thing that stands out the most was qualifying into the Kentucky Open which is an amateur event for golf. The field was good and even though I didn’t perform well I was still happy to get the opportunity. But when all is said and done, I wouldn’t change a thing if I did it over.

How has St. X helped you realize your passion and crafted your skill?

Conover: It’s helped me craft my skill tremendously by playing with some of the best players in the state every day and throughout the season.

Ruttinger: They gave me more passion to practice and compete on another level. When I came to St. X, I didn’t have the right mindset and didn’t have the mental game to compete. The coaches gave me the advice and helped me to execute it on the course. The skill of playing till the end was something huge I learned and has become a skill of mine now.

What aspects of St. X golf will you miss?

Conover: I will miss all my teammates and coaches. Along with the many rounds we spend playing together, it’s a competition that can’t be replicated.

Ruttinger: For sure spending nights at the hotels with the team. That was one of my favorite things to do because it was so fun bonding with the team. Also going out to eat on those nights were so fun and that is surely something I’ll miss.

About the Contributor
Aydan Newton
Aydan Newton, Staff Writer

Aydan Newton is a senior at St. X. He lives in Fisherville. He works at Bearno's on Hurstbourne. He attends every St. Xavier football game and is pumped to be back in the Rage Cage.