Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

XNews Alumnus Aidan Riggs Excels in College Journalism

“RJ Harvey in the backfield alone. Gonna take the direct snap. He runs to his left and has room. It’s gonna be RJ ALL DAY!” This was former Xavier News member Aidan Riggs’ call from the Cincinnati versus Central Florida football game. 

Riggs has been very busy to say the least during his first semester at Cincinnati. So far, he has written multiple stories, interviewed people, broadcasted games, taken photos for various Cincinnati social media platforms, and much more.

(photo courtesy of Aidan Riggs)

Riggs also is the co-host of a college football show, “Student Section”, with another freshman on campus. In addition to his own show, Riggs also makes weekly appearances on other student radio shows, which has been a great way for Riggs to meet people on campus.

Riggs credits a lot of his collegiate success to his time with Xavier News. Getting valuable practice with journalism in high school opened up opportunities for Riggs down the road.

“Making many stories at X and taking on some tougher stories really prepared me to continue journalism as soon as I got to college,” Riggs said. “The biggest way Xavier News prepared me for college was giving me a strong portfolio that I could use for my future. Something really cool about doing this stuff with Xavier News is that anything you do there stays on the website, meaning you or others can go back and revisit it whenever you’d like. If I had to guess, my Xavier News portfolio helped me get some bigger roles that freshmen don’t normally get, such as: such as broadcasting football and hockey games. I plan to keep using my portfolio for the future when I apply for internships and potential jobs in the industry.”

(photo courtesy of Aidan Riggs)

In the future Riggs plans on expanding his role as a reporterAlso Riggs wants to build off what he did with Xavier News.

“I’m going to attempt to make stories similar to the ones I made at Xavier News covering some of our unique athletes and personalities,” Riggs said.

Xavier News is very thankful for all the work Riggs put into our team during his years at St. X. We are all very excited to see Riggs’ journalism career continue to grow.

About the Contributor
Colin Duncan
Colin Duncan, Staff Writer
Colin Duncan has a masters degree in ball. He is the reigning bowl mania champ. One time bee sting survivor. Also Colin plays Stick n puck for Saint X.