Hockey Team Shooting for State

The Ice Tigers are coming off a great season where they finished fourth in the state after losing in a heartbreaking overtime semifinal against Owensboro. The Tigers have started off their season undefeated in the state of Kentucky and with a recent tournament win in Owensboro.

Head coach Patrick Sullivan is heading into his sixth season as head coach with the Tigers. Sullivan is looking for his first state championship and feels like his team is a legitimate contender this season.

“As for the hockey team, I think we have a very real chance at making a run at a state championship,” Sullivan said. “We have a talented roster that boasts everything you need to succeed in this sport: speed, physicality, hockey sense and goaltending. Couple that with the hard work we’ve put in and I think we’re as good as any team in the league.”

Tiger hockey team is looking strong for Friday against their rival Trinity at Iceland. This rivalry between the two schools is not as old as football or basketball, as hockey is a fairly new sport in the state of Kentucky, but the emotions fly high and the atmosphere gets as rowdy as any.

When the two rivals faced off twice last year the Tigers came away on top both times 6-4 in December then 10-4 in February.

After starting off the season defeating Owensboro, the Tigers know they can take state.

“Getting those first wins helps our confidence,” senior alternate captain Andrew Larkin said. “We go into every game knowing we can win.”

Senior Andrew Larkin (William Lewis)

Senior captain Davis Nichols is now on his fourth year as a varsity defensemen and one of the main leaders on the team.

“I’d say that I, along with the other captains, all try to lead in our own way which has a positive effect on the squad,” Nichols said. “Being in my fourth year of playing in a varsity-only program, I’m fortunate because I was exposed to some great leaders as a freshman and sophomore.”

Senior Captain Davis Nichols (William Lewis)

The team had a lot of strong freshmen and sophomores last year who have much more experience now and are ready to win it all. Juniors such as Nick Beam, Colin Duncan, and Henry Arnold are more experienced and ready to help.

“We have perhaps the most experienced team in Kentucky,” Sullivan said. “I think the league is wide open this year. We lost in overtime in the semifinals last year and learned a lot of lessons that we’re applying this season.”

About the Contributors
Sam Tyler
Sam Tyler, Staff Writer
Sam is a senior who loves everything about St. X. He enjoys sports whether he is watching or playing and enjoys being around family and friends. He’s been involved on the soccer team all four years at St. X. When not at school, you can find him on a public golf course setting the course record.  
Reece Mozzali
Reece Mozzali, Staff Writer
Reece is a red shirt freshman journalist. He is also a triplet whose twin brother also attends St. X. He is a huge Kentucky Wildcats fan who has attended 21 football games. Then is an avid pickle ball player with hopes of turning pro one day.
William Lewis
William Lewis, Photographer
William Lewis is an avid golf player. He loves to throw down a wager as he only plays good when there’s something on the line. He also believes UK will win the college football playoffs. He is extremely excited to get his max contract extension with the xavier news team.