Christopher Nolan: The Best in the Game

%28Jake+Varga%29
(Jake Varga)

I love to watch movies. More specifically, I love a movie that takes me through a unique story and drops my jaw at it’s ending. Director Christopher Nolan has never failed to accomplish this for me.

What Christopher Nolan does best in his films is leave the viewer asking questions; he makes the audience wonder, “what in the world just happened?” Often, my mind almost feels twisted and bent out of proportion. For many of his movies, such as “Tenet” or “Inception,” I’ve had to watch a video explaining the plot to me, and once I know what’s really going on, the second watch is one of pure appreciation for Nolan’s art.

Christopher Nolan is so talented in his approach to the theme of time. In multiple films, he manipulates, distorts, or reverses how time works in the film. While it can be confusing, the thought-provoking effects it has on the viewer is unparalleled. One of my favorite Christopher Nolan movies, “Tenet,” is the perfect example of this experimentation. It consists of the characters in the film moving and experiencing time backwards or “inverted,” as they strive to prevent an already predetermined fate. And as complex as it is, the plot comes full circle answering questions, explaining motifs, and leaving the viewers with their jaws dropped.

Another key aspect of Nolan’s movies is the musical scores that he uses, the most memorable of which being composed by longtime partner Hans Zimmer. Throughout many of Nolan’s films, Zimmer magnificently uses his musical expertise to convey an emotion, multiply the intensity of a scene, or even associate a sound with a character. For example, in my personal favorite movie of all time, “The Dark Knight,” an intense group of strings plays almost every time the Joker is wreaking havoc–it’s pretty much his theme. Also composed by Hans Zimmer is the “Interstellar” theme, which I regard as the most beautiful piece of music ever created–so beautiful that it motivated me to learn how to play the piano just so I could learn that song.

The last and probably most important part of Nolan’s directing that sets him apart is his use of in-camera, practical effects. All of the crazy stunts and mind-boggling shots that he films are all real and not CGI. Whether it’s blowing up a bomb in his most recent film, “Oppenheimer,” or crashing a giant plane into a hanger, like in “Tenet,” everything is real. In doing this, Nolan actively goes against the popular CGI-based effects that companies like Marvel use, thus giving his movies more of a special, authentic feel.

Overall, there’s nothing like a Christopher Nolan movie. The way he transports us into his complex, awe-inspiring films is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. Nolan has inspired me to explore the world of film, and I think everyone should hop on the Nolan bandwagon–it’s sure to be one heck of a ride.

About the Contributor
Jake Varga
Jake Varga, Staff Writer
Jake Varga is a 6’5” varsity soccer state champion at St. X. When Jake has some time to spare, you can find him attempting to replicate Max Homa’s buttery golf swing at Hurstbourne CC or on the toilet watching Tavon Austin’s West Virginia highlight tape. Varga considers himself to be a UK super-fan and has been to just about every home basketball game since 2017. In regards to his own basketball skills, the media calls him “Jakewitdashifts.”