St. X Students Star in “Mamma Mia!” at the Rose Theatre

Lindy Miller
The cast of Mamma Mia!

St. X is full of talent from athletics to academics. Many people overlook the amazing talent in the theatre department. Current students have the opportunity to share their talents with the Rose Theatre at Assumption High School in their upcoming production of “Mamma Mia!” under the new leadership of Mr. Andrew Stairs, former student (’10) and faculty member at St. X.

St. X and Assumption have a great partnership in the theatre business. Many students from our school spend time at the Rose Theatre producing top-level productions. Senior Cayman Kelting ’24 helps with the lights and technology at the Rose Theatre. People like Kelting are necessary in running a professional show.

The cast of Mamma Mia! preparing for the performance at the end of October (Lindy Miller)

“In many ways, becoming Assumption’s Theatre Program Director is my opportunity to be a steward of the theatrical gifts I have received: as both a St. X student and former Rose Theatre Company associate when I began teaching at Assumption,” Stairs said. “I’m a product of high school theater, and the richness of those experiences have shaped the person and artist I am today.”

Stairs values this new role as a leader in the theatre business and appreciates the value each student brings to the Rose Theatre.

“Theatre is community, and it’s our gift to tell stories that connect audiences, and even challenge or change how they see the world,” Stairs said. “Each performance is a moment in time, fleeting but formidable. During a production’s run, audiences bring a fresh and unique energy that ensures no two performances are ever the same.”

Senior Carter Jury is a member of the Rose Theatre and has been acting since the fifth grade. He has had the opportunity to travel between Assumption and St. X’s theatre.

“The theatre programs at both high schools are certainly different from other extracurriculars,” Jury said. “I can’t exactly explain it, but the best word for it is family. We look out for each other and act as one group. I can say with confidence that I have grown to know and love so many great people in the respective theatre programs.”

Jury has used acting as a way for personal and character development. Since he has been acting since the 5th grade, the Rose Theatre served as a place to grow his craft.

“The chance to allow a character to take over my body is an eye-opening experience,” Jury said. “It is a great example of collaboration and work ethic in a fun environment. I not only get to laugh and have a good time with my friends, I can create a show and a spectacle at the same time, and I think that is simply wondrous.”

With the partnership between the St. X Theatre and The Rose Theatre, the actors have built a sense of community with each other.

The play bill for Mamma Mia! (Mr. Andrew Stairs ‘10)

“Mamma Mia!” is a popular musical that features the Swedish pop group ABBA. Catherine Johnson was the playwright behind the popular production. The musical has been performed at various theatres worldwide and created as a film in 2008.

The story takes place in the Greek Islands. Donna, a hotelier, is preparing for her daughter’s wedding. Sophie, the bride, decides to invite three men from her mother’s previous relationships. Her goal is to have her real father walk her down the aisle on her wedding day.

The Rose Theatre will be performing “Mamma Mia!” at the end of October. Showtimes will be performed as followed: Friday, Oct. 27 @ 7 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 28 @ 7 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 29 @2 p.m., Thursday, Nov 2 @ 7 p.m., Friday, Nov. 3 @ 7 p.m., Saturday, Nov.4 @ 7 p.m., and Sunday, Nov. 5 @ 2 p.m.

The tickets are going fast, so don’t wait if you want to see a spectacular performance. The link is here.

About the Contributor
Preston Dean
Preston Dean, Staff Writer

Preston is a senior and swims for the two-time national champion Tiger Swim Team. Outside of school, he likes to spend time outdoors and hang out with friends. He’s traveled to many countries around the world and is on track to see the seven wonders. While Preston is not traveling, he is trying a new restaurant in the city as an avid foodie.