Busch and Pinkston: The Dynamic Duo

The Saint Xavier defense has always been predicated on a solid linebacker core, and this year continues that trend, but in a very unique way. With seniors Austin Uhrhan and Holden Siebel graduating, there were big shoes to fill at the middle linebacker position. Karsten Busch and Ben Pinkston, both only sophomores, have stepped up and taken over these two positions on defense.

This linebacker duo is stepping up in a big way for the Tigers, and two sophomores starting together on defense is almost unheard of at a school with this much pedigree. Busch and Pinkston feel honored to play this early in their St. X football career and are thankful that they can learn together.

“Not many people get this opportunity as underclassmen,” Busch said. “Being able to start alongside one of my good friends is awesome.”

“It feels great to have the opportunity to start for such a talented football team,” Pinkston said. “Karsten and I have always either been on different teams or separate sides of the ball, so it’s great to finally be able to play with him.”

Busch and Pinkston were huge contributors on the freshman team last year and moved straight to the varsity level this season without playing in a single JV game. This big jump takes a lot of adjustment and learning, and the duo is continuing to get better every week.

“The expectations are much higher for each player,” Pinkston said. “The players I’m playing against are very skilled and have a lot of experience playing at the varsity level.”

Pinkston after tackling a Male Bulldog (Photo by Coop!)

They have made an immediate impact early in this season, as they are great at stopping the run and defending the pass. Busch has ten solo tackles, four tackles for loss, and three sacks, while Pinkston has ten tackles with two tackles for loss. The duo brings different strengths to the table for this defense, as Busch feels like the best part of his game is his athleticism and strength, while Pinkston makes a huge impact in stopping the run game.

The growth and development of these two sophomore stars are key to the Tigers’ success in the present and future. The rest of the defense has helped guide these young players to grow up very quickly for the varsity stage.

“The team has given me lots of support and taught me a lot about their experiences,” Busch said. “The rest of the defense has taken me under their wing to help me grow as a player.”

Busch lining up on defense (Photo by Coop!)

Playing inside linebacker is a new position for me,” Pinkston said. “Seniors like Carson Owen and Kruse Metzmeier are guys that help me out if I have any questions.”

Busch and Pinkston have lofty goals that they want to accomplish during their time at St. X, but they both agree that their main focus this season is winning a state championship.

“The only goal that matters this season is winning state,” Pinkston and Busch said. “As sophomores, our job this season is to help the team win and do everything we can to make an impact.”

This dynamic duo is bringing in a new age of youth on the varsity football squad that is ready to dominate for years to come.

About the Contributor
Kyle Krupp
Kyle Krupp, Staff Writer
Kyle Krupp is a big time two-sport athlete who plays football in the fall and baseball in the spring. Kyle is undoubtedly the biggest Louisville fan on the planet and has been to almost every home football and basketball game since 2013. Kyle is a major sports buff who knows a ton of random information that contributes nothing to the world (i.e. WR Corey Davis from Western Michigan was selected with the 5th pick in 2017). Kyle also has an elite broadcasting voice that has been self-compared to Joe Buck and can be heard calling the freshman and JV baseball games all spring.