Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Club for the Fastest Growing Sport in America

Mr. Blaser
Pickball Club in action

After a long summer break, the Pickleball Club will meet again in September. Created only in April of last year, it was the fastest-growing club at St. X.

Pickleball overall has experienced a 158% growth in three years, making it the fastest-growing sport in America for the fifth year in a row. Many students joined the club and began playing at Tom Sawyer Park here in Louisville. Pickleball is not only gaining popularity across the country but also within the halls of St. X.

“Seeing how much the club has grown from year one to year two, and how last year’s members have become leaders has been incredible,” Blaser said.

It’s a relatively easy game to learn and play, requiring minimal equipment. All you need is a paddle, some pickleballs and access to a court. The most popular way to play is in doubles, similar to tennis.

Pickleball Club in action (Mr. Blaser)

The Pickleball Club is always open to accepting new members and is a great way to get involved here at school. Some of the most popular venues for finding a match at any time of the day are Charlie Vettiner Park and Tom Sawyer. Both locations have ten or more courts that are in perfect condition. There are players of different skill levels, so don’t be discouraged if you’ve never played before.

“Being at parks and noticing people playing sparked my interest,” Blaser said. “Then I started to play by myself and thought it would be an interesting club to start here at St. X.”

The Saint Xavier Pickleball Club is looking to expand and is considering collaborating with other schools that have pickleball clubs.

Conner Klimek is one of the founding members of the Pickleball Club and enjoys playing with his fellow club members.

“My favorite way to play pickleball is doubles, and my best partner is Gavin Metcalfe,” Klimek said.

Eli and Conner playing doubles (Mr. Blaser)
About the Contributor
Reece Mozzali
Reece Mozzali, Staff Writer
Reece is a red shirt freshman journalist. He is also a triplet whose twin brother also attends St. X. He is a huge Kentucky Wildcats fan who has attended 21 football games. Then is an avid pickle ball player with hopes of turning pro one day.