Iron Tiger Powerlifting: Raising the Bar

For 36 years, St. Xavier powerlifting has been a varsity letter sport that participates against other schools in competitive meets. Coach Larry Traub started the powerlifting program in 1987 with a vision to allow students to express their athletic ability in a sport designed for everyone. Since then, the Iron Tigers have dominated the competition through hard work and dedication in their craft.

Coach Gold has been involved in the powerlifting program for 20 years and has been the head coach for the last 17 years. His tremendous leadership has led the Tigers to win five of the last nine state championships and helped them become current two-time defending Kentucky State Push-Pull Champions.

“Life is a competition which we are getting people ready for,” Gold said. “It’s not about how strong you are, it’s about how strong you can become.”

Coach Gold and his assistant, Coach Mottley, motivate each team member to become the best version of himself, both inside and out of the weight room. Students from all walks of life and different physiques join the powerlifting team and are pushed to their very best ability no matter how much experience they have.

The 2023 Iron Tiger Seniors

Powerlifters learn that improvement is not just about being satisfied with what you have accomplished, but also focusing on what comes next. The Iron Tigers have three meets this upcoming season, and the team trains for these events by practicing three days a week and staying physically active.

The competition season spans from January to April. The scheduled meets are as follows:

1. The Green and Gold Push-Pull Meet at St. X is scheduled for Feb. 3, 2024.
2. The Kentucky State Push-Pull Meet will be on March 2, 2024.
3. The Iron Tiger Invitational, which is a full powerlifting meet, is set to take place on April 27, 2024, at St. X.

Each Push-Pull meet involves bench press and deadlift, but other meets also implement squat. Each lifter has three attempts with each lift and the lifter with the highest total weight lifted at the conclusion of the event wins their weight class.

St. X powerlifting has a rich history of producing state championship teams and individuals. One specific team member, James Roth ‘25, is a two-time Kentucky State Push-Pull Meet Champion in the 114-pound weight class. He is preparing for his third straight year on the team and is driven to continue his championship run.

James Roth ‘25 with a max deadlift attempt

“I really feel like the powerlifting team gave me a place to belong,” Roth stated. “Coach Gold and everyone else that is a part of the team has always been so inclusive and supportive.”

Throughout the years, Coach Gold has been through many special moments while involved in the powerlifting program, but he says his favorite moments are when he can spend time with the team.

“When a lifter is preparing for a max attempt, the whole team cheers them on for support,” Gold said. “I just step back and watch it happen.”

The powerlifting program promotes their faith with the Bible verse “Phil 4:13” on their sleeves. Any lifter that is having a hard time can look down at their sleeve for motivation. Season one is currently underway, but any lifter that has a desire in joining the powerlifting brotherhood should email Coach Gold; he would be happy to help.

About the Contributor
Liam Whelan
Liam Whelan, Staff Writer
Liam Whelan is a junior at St. X and an avid college baseball fan that attends every Louisville baseball home game each season. As he awaits each upcoming season, Liam can be seen at Seneca golf course hitting the links with his friends. During the summer, he is a part of a travel baseball team as he goes around the state competing in tournaments for some hardware. Liam is a big family guy and enjoys spending weekends and free time with loved ones and his black lab named Boone.