Messi’s MLS Master Class

Photos by Arturo63

Messi is widely regarded as one of the best soccer players ever. After winning his first World Cup, he decided to leave European soccer and join Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami.

Inter Miami, owned by former English National Team Captain David Beckham, was one of the worst teams in MLS this season. Leading up to Messi’s signing, Miami had only won five of twenty-two games with a -14 goal differential and was ranked the bottom team in the league.

Since Messi joined the club, Miami has yet to lose a game that he played in, and they have quickly become one of the best, most exciting teams in the league to watch. This led to Miami winning the League Cup as well as their first official MLS season game.

Messi continues to show us exactly why so many consider him the greatest soccer player ever. He has managed to score 11 goals in just nine games. For reference, the top goal scorer in the Premier League last year was Erling Haaland, who scored 52 goals in 53 games. Messi is not only a scorer; he also gets his teammates involved. He is also one of the top contributors in MLS this year with assists for six goals, making a total of 17 goal contributions.

Photos by StackJack

Messi has not only created a winning culture through his goal contributions, but he brought winning players with him when he came to the States. Messi brought Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets, both former teammates of Messi’s who have won many European trophies with him. Busquets has had an immediate defensive impact in the midfield, and Alba has been wonderful with his overlapping runs from the outside that help create chances.

As you can see, Messi has made a much positive impact, both through play on the field, his presence off the field, and ability to bring talent from other teams.

About the Contributor
Brody Peters
Brody Peters, Staff Writer
Brody is a huge NBA and college basketball fan, watching at least one basketball game a night while it is in season. Brody also loves making pottery and can be found at clay club every week. A weekend pastime for Brody is playing golf and often ending up shooting shots from anywhere but the fairway. He is ready to put on his best NFL general manager impression and try to win his fantasy football leagues.