Tiger Wrestling Wrap-Up

The Saint Xavier wrestling season recently came to a close.

The KHSAA Regional Tournament took place on Feb. 9. After the Regional, The Tigers concluded their season in the KHSAA State Championship on Feb. 15 and 16.

The Tigers had a great season and are loaded with talent. Anthony Gallego, a junior on the wrestling team for the Tigers, said that the team has just spread the desire for wrestling. Additionally, there were plenty of first year wrestlers on the team this year, and everyone on the team greatly improved throughout the season.

To reach the KHSAA State Championship in wrestling, an individual must place in the top four or five of their weight class in the KHSAA Regional Tournament.

The Tigers placed second in the Regional Tournament and advanced 10 wrestlers to the KHSAA State Tournament. Out of the ten wrestlers advancing, two seniors, Max Speaker and Carter Guillaume, placed first place in their weight classes.

Carter Guillaume pins opponent. (Photo used with permission of Jack Bates)

In the KHSAA State Tournament on Feb.15 and 16, senior Carter Guillaume placed in first place in the heavyweight division, making him a state champion for the second year in a row. In addition, senior Max Speaker finished as the runner-up in the 165 pound division.

“Everyone thinks that wrestling is an individual sport, but it really is so critical to have teammates that share the same goals,” Speaker said when asked about what contributed to his success this season. “Being surround by people who want to win as bad as you do really pushes you to be your best.”

Having teammates that support each other is a key part to team and individual success in wrestling; the Tigers do a great job at supporting and encouraging each other. Additionally, Max said that he credits some of his success to his practice partners Danny Jaso and Eli Williams.

“I owe a lot of my success to them for helping me prepare,” Speaker said.

Wrestling at St. X is growing, and a great part of that is individuals supporting each other and growing the brotherhood. Since everyone on the team improved vastly this season, the Tigers will be ready to have another successful season next year.

About the Contributor
Pete Hartlage
Pete Hartlage, Staff Writer

Pete is an avid Atlanta Braves and Louisville Cardinals fan. He is an above average golfer and a demon on the intermediate basketball court. He loves Harry Potter and Star Wars, but would chose Harry Potter if he had to pick between the two. Additionally, Pete is a reigning champion of the Xavier News Bracket Challenge.