Top Five Fives

376 Views

The number five is one of the most special numbers in the world. However, many people, when they think of the number five, only associate it with math, counting, and other unimportant matters. I’m here to tell you that the glorious number five is at the center point of our lives. Without further ado, here are the top five fives.

Honorable Mentions: Before revealing the list, there are too many key players and contributors to the world of fives that simply can’t be left out. It was very difficult leaving out guys like the five vowels (A, E, I, O, U), the $5 footlong, the five Lego Ninjago ninjas, the five Olympic Rings, LMNOP, and Five Guys, so I thought I’d show my respect.

Not Honorable Mentions: Harry Maguire

5: Five-Second Rule
At number five, I’ve got the five-second rule. There’s not a person in this world who hasn’t been saved by the five-second rule. If you’ve never dropped a French fry, a Cheez-It, or any other food on the ground and then proceeded to pick it up and eat it, then you haven’t lived. Even the Mayans were using the five-second rule as a pillar of their eating rituals. The five-second rule is a staple in the NFL (National Food League), and I won’t allow its contributions to go overlooked.

4: Five Fingers
At the four slot, I’ve got the five fingers on your hand (Yes, the thumb is a finger. Don’t even try it). What would you do without your fingers? Imagine even just one day without the world-renowned thumb, pointer, middle, ring, and pinky. People would start calling you Dumbo because you’re basically an elephant. Human civilization would be that of nothing if fingers weren’t carrying the team on its back, and that’s the truth.

3: Five Senses
3rd place goes to none other than your five senses: smell, touch, hearing, taste, and sight. Together, they’re the Power Rangers or the Incredibles (more legendary fives). Like fingers, what do you do without your five senses? What do we even become? Are we still humans? I might say less.

2: Starting Five
*”Sirius” by The Alan Parsons Project starts playing* From North Carolina, at guard, 6’6”, Michael Jordannnnnn. There can’t be a list of the best fives without including the starting five of a basketball team. There’s the 1996-1998 Bulls, 2016-2019 Warriors, 2010-2011 Heat, St. Margaret Mary intermediate team, just to name a few. Your best vs our best. It doesn’t get much better than that, does it?

1: High Five

You probably guessed it: five-time MVP, five-time champion. Put your hands together for the high five. Even with its obvious notability, we often overlook the effects and depth of the simple gesture. Used to show congratulations, appreciation, to say what’s up (a dap-up is in the high five family), the high five is truly the foundation of human happiness and motivation. Overall, the world of fives is a beautiful one, and the high five is its Augusta National.

About the Contributor
Jake Varga
Jake Varga, Staff Writer
Jake Varga is a 6’5” varsity soccer state champion at St. X. When Jake has some time to spare, you can find him attempting to replicate Max Homa’s buttery golf swing at Hurstbourne CC or on the toilet watching Tavon Austin’s West Virginia highlight tape. Varga considers himself to be a UK super-fan and has been to just about every home basketball game since 2017. In regards to his own basketball skills, the media calls him “Jakewitdashifts.”