Then and Now: Generations of Tigers

April 21, 2023

To finalize my time here as a St. X journalism student, I was assigned to create my magnum opus. It needed to be my best work — a story that people would remember me for. My mind immediately went to what the school would look like 50 years from now. Would the classrooms look the same? Locker rooms updated? classes run by AI?

In my attempts to predict some of the future, I looked to the past in the 1973 yearbook to find out what St. X looked like 50 years ago. I came to find a school with traditions and values very similar to ours today, but it definitely had some different facilities, buildings and hairstyles compared to now.

I followed the rabbit holes into other yearbooks all the way into the 1990, where I stumbled across my dad’s senior picture. I looked around the room and wondered which of my other classmates had family members that went to St. X. I found that there were multiple and we all went searching for their yearbooks to see what St. X was like during their time as a Tiger.

Although a picture is worth a thousand words, I decided to send out a questionnaire to each of my classmates’ dads to find out what their favorite parts of St. X were when they went to school here. Over the course of this process, I have found just how deep the brotherhood runs…

Chip Hayward (’92) and Sam Hayward (’23)

Chip Hayward

Top three classes at St. X: AP american history, world civilizations, religion. They were the classes with my three favorite teachers. You learn and remember a lot more about the people and the teachers; the classes and subject material all blends together.

Favorite memory of senior year: St. X/Trinity soccer game: winning in a shootout against Trinity.

Thing he misses most about St. X: Being on a sports team and being so close with all the other members of the team was probably the best memory. Second would be lunch and being able to spend time with friends that weren’t in every single one of my classes

Sam Hayward

Top three classes at St. X: Acting, journalism, freshman biology. Great teachers made for amazing classes and memories that I will never forget.

Favorite memory of senior year: My favorite memory from my senior year was when we beat Trinity in football. It was a moment that brought my brothers and I together.

Thing he will miss most about St. X: The thing I am going to miss most about St. X is being able to have such a great brotherhood and knowing every face in the school. Being able to walk the halls with all of these great men is something that is irreplaceable.

Todd Moorman (’89) and Walker Moorman (’23)

Todd Moorman

Top three classes at St. X: Biology with Dan Amlung, algebra with Rob Young, religion with Bill Daisy.

Favorite memory of senior year: Leading a junior retreat.

Thing he misses most about St. X: The people and friends.

Walker Moorman

Top three classes at St. X: Anatomy with Coach McCormick, calculus with Coach J, and world geography with Coach Stewart.

Favorite memory of senior year: Beating Trinity with 13 seconds left in the regional final in soccer.

Thing he will miss most about St. X: The people, students and teachers that I have been surrounded with and grown close to over the past four years.

Carl Daley (’92) and Luke Daley (’23)

Carl Daley

Top three classes at St. X: Senior year PE, Accounting, Coach Johnson’s English class… he always made fun of me for fumbling against Trinity (which wasn’t cool).

Favorite memory of senior year: Football Thanksgiving practice for state semi-final game.

Thing he misses most about St. X: The Brotherhood!

Luke Daley

Top three classes at St. X: Acting with Ms. Reisert, 1945-present with Coach Schweitzer, and honors anatomy with Professor McCormick.

Favorite memory of senior year: My favorite memory of senior year was playing in the golf state championship and hanging out with all my teammates.

Thing he will miss most about St. X: The camaraderie shared with all of my classmates.

Jason Kron (’90) and Alex Kron (’23)

Jason Kron

Top three classes at St. X: Brother Borgia math, Mr. Amlung biology, Mr. Bergamini business.

Favorite memory of senior year: Helping be a runner for guidance office and senior year basketball team.

Thing he misses most about St. X: It’s tough to appreciate all the great classmates and teachers I encountered while there; it took a while to fully appreciate how great the experience was and let it fully sink in.

Alex Kron

Top three classes at St. X: Coach Larkin’s business, Coach Kraeszig’s biology, and Doc Hinton’s forensics.

Favorite memory of senior year: Winning the soccer state championship in 2020 (my sophomore year).

Thing he will miss most about St. X: Being able to see my friends and have a good time during school.

Chris Schulten (’85) and Noah Schulten (’23)

Chris Schulten

Top three classes at St. X: German sophomore/junior years with Herr Ballard; freshman geography with Br. James McCarthy; senior journalism with Mr. Kroh.

Favorite memory of senior year: Retreat.

Thing he misses most about St. X: The camaraderie/Brotherhood.

Noah Schulten

Top three classes at St. X: US 1945-present with Coach Schweitzer, freshman German with Herr Knoop, and English junior year with Coach Yochum.

Favorite memory of senior year: Beating Trinity in the soccer regional championship with about 15 seconds left on the clock to send us to state.

Thing he will miss most about St. X: The bond between the soccer team and amazing seasons we had together.

Steve Campisano (’90) and Adam Campisano (’23)

Steve Campisano

Top three classes at St. X: Anatomy, business law, accounting.

Favorite memory of senior year: The last month of my senior school year was awesome with prom, baccalaureate mass and all the graduation stuff.

Thing he misses most about St. X: I miss my classmates and friends the most: “The Brotherhood”

Adam Campisano

Top three classes at St. X: Spirituality with Mrs. White, journalism with Coach Stemle, and business/finance with Coach Larkin. All of these teachers do a great job of teaching things beyond the classroom.

Favorite memory of senior year: Getting to play in the USA Baseball National Tournament in North Carolina with the baseball team.

Thing he will miss most about St. X: All of the relationships I have formed with my classmates, teammates, teachers, coaches and everyone I have encountered. These people make coming to school exciting every day.