Faculty+Philosophy

Faculty Philosophy

April 22, 2022

One of the things that makes St. X great are the teachers. We have so many that are full of wisdom and that not only makes them interesting, but also helps us learn as students. I’ve reached out to some of our wisest educators to see if they had any words of wisdom for us…

Mr. Bornschein

“ Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.”- Soren Kierkegaard

The future is open and always involves the unexpected. The unknown scares people. It takes courage to step forward into the unknown, but it is a step that our best self must take. Otherwise we get pushed, like it or not.

Mr. Caudill

The thing I have been using a lot this year is: life is full of real world problems.  Take the things that you know to find the things you don’t know and you will be just fine.

I tell this to my students because sometimes life’s challenges can seem to big or demanding.  However, if you go one step at a time, just like in math class, you can accomplish great things.  One logical step after another is how you can take yourself to the moon and beyond.

Coach Tronzo

“Do what you love and you never work a day in your life.”

– Your job will be the single largest time commitment in your life. Do not pick a career for money, status, etc. Instead, pick a career because you will find passion and purpose in what you do for a living.

“Simplicity is the key.”

– Life is complex and stressful. If you think you have a lot of obligations and responsibilities now, there will only be more as you become truly independent and add a career, a home, and a family. Do not add unnecessary “stuff” or add obligations that do not bring you true happiness. More is not always better. Less is sometimes more.

“Don’t skip leg day.”

– Enough said.

Mr. Zoeller

“With great power comes great responsibility” is the classic line from the Spider-Man origin story.  However, this statement is loosely based on the Gospel of Luke 12:48, “much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”

Both of these statements remind the faithful of our responsibility to recognize the blessings in our lives and to use our gifts to make the world a better place.  This is especially true for the St. X student blessed with an amazing tradition, facilities, and faculty.

Dr. Martin

The only cure for vanity is laughter. And the only fault that’s laughable is vanity.— Henri Bergson

I like this quote because sometimes we take ourselves too seriously. A little laughter can certainly help keep that in check. This quote may not be the nicest way to express our charism of humility, but the things we accomplish in life often build on the work of others, are frequently fortified by our collaborations with others, and hopefully will aid the work of others in the far reaching future.