Basketball Contests and Faculty Game For CSW

January 24, 2022

St. X’s top student and faculty ballers need to be on alert during Catholic Schools Week (Jan. 31-Feb. 3) as the school hosts an array of exciting basketball events and challenges for Tigers across all grade levels during lunch periods. Each contest held in the Sterne Gym requires at least a one dollar donation to participate. All proceeds go to support Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services.

Daily winners of the contests from each lunch period will face off during an all-school assembly on Thursday for various prizes.

The schedule is as follows:

Monday: free throw competition 

Tuesday: three point shootout

Wednesday: half-court shot

Thursday: all-school assembly with individual contests and a faculty vs. faculty game (more on this below).

Friday: Red Cross blood drive 

Thursday, Feb. 3 is the first inaugural faculty versus faculty basketball game for Catholic Schools Week possibly in school history. Twelve members of the faculty and staff have agreed to play and are officially draft eligible. The available players are Ashby, Baisch, Cottrell, Stemle, Patzelt, Salomon, Brockman, Hilbert, McCormick, Noe, Caudill and Durbin.

There is an upperclassman and underclassman team. The upperclassman team will be drafted and coached by Cole Sherman, Mekhi Smith, Nelson Williams and Ja’Vin Jones. The underclassman team will be led by Jack Wheeler, Trevor Schubert, Will Hanke and Chance Dillingham. Whichever team wins, that half of the school gets a dress down day on the following Monday. So, if the upperclassman team is victorious, juniors and seniors get a dress down day on Monday.

The stakes are high for next week and we can’t wait to see who comes out on top!