Mastering Your New Year’s Resolution

January 6, 2022

Many people create New Year’s Resolutions that they say they will keep. We all know that barely any people keep true to their resolutions. If you are planning on breaking the streak of dropping your New Year’s Resolutions, there are things you need to do. I am going to reveal to you my four important methods to help you stay on the path of accomplishing your goals.

Method 1: START NOW!

Tomorrow will never come. You have to start today. Most people set a resolution and think that the “I’ll start tomorrow” mentality is a good idea. It’s not and it will fail you. Start today because only the here and now is in your control.

Method 2: The Two-Day Rule

If you find yourself in your New Year’s Resolution journey missing a day that often turns into missing a month, to abandon the resolution entirely you are not alone. To get past this problem, implement the two-day rule. I learned this rule from the YouTuber and entrepreneur Matt D’Avella. This rule will only allow you to miss two days of your resolution at a time. If you keep a calendar and mark all the one to two days that you missed it will help you focus on your resolution. Allowing room for error so you don’t feel like you lost everything is key to the success of your New Year’s Resolution.

Method 3: Repetition and Simplicity

Oftentimes people set New Year’s Resolutions that are impossible to reach. To avoid this we must consider the wise words from a man named Scott Addams. He states that “people are more influenced by visual persuasion, emotion, repetition, and simplicity than they are by details and facts.” Therefore, repetition and simplicity are key. Simplify what your resolution is then employ the power of repetition to help you stay focused on your goals. You can know all the facts that you should do this or that but that alone will get you nowhere.

Method 4: Systems Instead of Goals

The final step for you to take on your journey is the implementation of systems to reach your resolutions. All of the past steps I mentioned come together to create a system that helps you reach your goals. Without a plan, your goals will be unreachable. James Clear, author of Atomic Habits, said, “You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” Build strong systems that have each of the previous steps in place to help you achieve your New Year’s Resolutions.

Final Take Away

It is now up to you to take these steps and use them for your future. If you take action today and implement these steps into your life, you will see that you can reach any goal that you set for yourself. At the end of the day, it’s both your effort and the habits you create that decide your future. The power is in you. I wish you more than luck.