Derby Brings Celebration, Culture, and Tradition

Photo+courtesy+of+Davis+Nichols+
Photo courtesy of Davis Nichols

The 2024 Run for the Roses is set to be a great sports spectacle for the entire world on Saturday, May 8. Thousands of people from all over the globe; from local residents taking buses to Churchill Downs with their families and friends that they’ve spent every Derby with, to the celebrities and icons such as Aaron Rodgers or Michael Jordan on the red carpet all show up to see what the City of Louisville has to offer.

There is an indescribable feeling that surrounds Louisville the entire two-week period that the Kentucky Derby Festival lasts from Thunder over Louisville to the final stretch on Derby Saturday. The city is struck with a widespread unity that brings all of us together, regardless of backgrounds and upbringing. All events tie the people together in a way that sets Louisville apart from the outside world for that two-week time frame in Late April and Early May. The feeling of freshly bloomed trees and beautiful floral arrangements of roses and lilies only add to what is the best time of the year in Louisville.

The Derby got its start in 1875 with the victory of Aristides. Since then, 148 other horses have put themselves into the history books as the winners of the “Greatest Two Minutes in Sports”. Churchill Downs honors the history of the race by putting the name of the first winner (Aristides) and the most recent winners (Mage) names between the Twin Spires of the track. The City of Louisville honors its own history with the long-lasting Kentucky Derby Festival, which starts every year two weeks before the first Saturday in May.

“Thunder of Louisville” kicks off the entire ceremony exactly at the two-week date before the race. When the smoke clears, the viewers have witnessed the nation’s largest annual fireworks display. It is a good start for the weeks to come as it is accompanied by the annual Air Show, headlined by famous flight groups such as the Blue Angels.

Many community events will occur over the next week such as the Hot Air Balloon Race, the Bed Race, the race between the Belles of Louisville and Cincinnati, and the famous Mini Marathon a week out from the Derby. Along with many other activities that bring the community together, these festivals allow for people from all around to experience the buzz the Louisville builds around the famous race.

Before anyone knows it, it will be race week. The poll placement is released, and people begin to form their picks on who they believe the winner will be this year. But before the big race on Saturday, more events need to occur. First, over 50,000 people will travel to Louisville to see the festivities starting with the opening races the Thursday before the race, now known as “Thurby”.

Following tradition, the ladies will run first. They run on the Friday before the Derby in what is known as the Kentucky Oaks. The fillies will run for the lilies and to bring home more attraction to those who come for the great weekend.

Then, it’s here. Derby Day. 150,000 pack inside Churchill Downs to spend time with friends and hopefully make some money off of the races. 405 million dollars will be made in total to contribute to the Louisville holiday, and preserve the tradition of the Kentucky Derby.

The Derby brings everyone together through a sense of pride that is brought on by the race, the history, and the community of the event. Every year is better than the last, and no matter who wins, Louisville is sure to be the biggest winner of them all.

About the Contributor
Miller Kron
Miller Kron, Staff Writer
Miller is a junior at Saint Xavier and a loyal Louisville Sports and Chicago Cubs fan. He plays on the football team and likes to model his game off of people like Chris Johnson and Dri Archer. He believes Rick Pitino is the greatest college basketball coach in history. He also likes watching anything sports related on TV, especially College Football and the MLB.