Steven Vanover Foundation: Making Strides Against Sarcoma

Spin For Steven is the staple event of the Steven Vanover Foundation, which fights to further the research and treatment for sarcoma patients as well as other rare forms of cancer. It was created in honor of the late St. Xavier alumnus, Steven Vanover, who lost his battle with sarcoma in 2015.

In 2013, shortly after receiving his Master’s degree in mechanical engineering from The University of Louisville, Steven was diagnosed with a rare form of sarcoma cancer called desmoplastic small round cell tumors (DSRCT). Steven was known for his positive, uplifting spirit and an intense passion for life. It was only right that a cancer foundation was founded in his name to help others affected by the disease.

Steven and his St. X extracurriculars

Two years after the creation of the foundation, Steven’s fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha, held its inaugural Spin For Steven event. Nate York, executive director of Spin For Steven stated, “We raised a little over $17,000 for our first event in 2017, seeing growth in the event every year after. This year for the 8th Spin for Steven we raised $83,287.50, the most in the history of the event.” Spin For Steven has raised over $375,000 for The Spin For Steven Foundation since its launch in 2017.

The University of Louisville and Pi Kappa Alpha have done wonders for the foundation and the eradication of sarcoma. Nate reflecting on the impact of Spin For Steven, said, “Knowing that a sarcoma diagnosis could happen to any of our Brothers at any moment is a truth that brings us great motivation to help find a cure and create a world where sarcoma does not exist.”

St. X students attending this year’s Spin for Steven

Michael Vanover, brother of the late St. X alumnus responded to the foundation’s efforts, “It is very refreshing to see. When my brother was going through his journey, there was very little knowledge about it. Any awareness we can bring to this terrible disease, the better. We want to make a big impact in the fight against sarcoma.”

One of the foundation’s greatest accomplishments so far was helping to open the Norton Genomics lab. Spin For Steven is just one part of the legendary cancer research organization that is The Steven Vanover Foundation. The Spin For Steven event is held in the spring of every year. To register or donate for the foundation, the website is spinforsteven.org.

About the Contributor
Davis Nichols
Davis Nichols, Staff Writer
Davis Nichols is a part time ultimate frisbee legend and full-time hockey player. Ever heard of Wayne Gretzky? Davis isn’t that good, but he is pretty good. Davis also partakes in catching hogs (really big fish) in ponds. L’s Up.