Dream Starting Fives of the Cal Era

Gavin Metcalfe

Now that the Calipari era is over at Kentucky, we are taking a look back at our dream starting lineups made up of Kentucky players from 2010-2024. These teams listed below are based on the players’ tenure at UK (not NBA), with factors such as offensive/defensive abilities, tournament performance, and overall greatness at UK considered.

Our Starting Fives
About the Contributors
Gavin Metcalfe
Gavin Metcalfe, Staff Writer
Gavin Metcalfe is a senior and a master pickle ball player. He is a huge Kentucky sports fan and has been to approximately 45 basketball games at Rupp Arena. Gavin is also an expert fence builder, and contrary to popular belief, Gavin does not reside in the CMC. He also possesses an uncanny sense of direction.
Jake Varga
Jake Varga, Staff Writer
Jake Varga is a 6’5” varsity soccer state champion at St. X. When Jake has some time to spare, you can find him attempting to replicate Max Homa’s buttery golf swing at Hurstbourne CC or on the toilet watching Tavon Austin’s West Virginia highlight tape. Varga considers himself to be a UK super-fan and has been to just about every home basketball game since 2017. In regards to his own basketball skills, the media calls him “Jakewitdashifts.”
Jack Wheeler
Jack Wheeler, Staff Writer
Jack is a senior who loves strapping on the blue apron at Kroger as a cashier. He bleeds blue and has been a Steelers fan since ’06. You can find him any given Saturday with Tyler Carr at Persimmon Ridge Country Club missing 3 foot putts. His favorite food is anything with beer cheese.
Griffin Mattingly
Griffin Mattingly, Staff Writer

Griffin, a current senior, is the last of five Mattingly brothers to come through St. X. He pays the bills by scooping ice cream at Graeter's and caddying at Valhalla Golf Club. In his free time, you can catch Griffin making fools of people on intramural and intermediate basketball courts, waving goodbye to sad Louisville fans as they exit Kroger Field, or getting up to other shenanigans. Griffin listens to Chris Stapleton, makes some mean scrambled eggs, and once had 13 fidget spinners.

Ethan Donlon
Ethan Donlon, Staff Writer
Ethan Donlon a man of unbelievable skill on the rugby pitch, assisting the team to the state championship. He’s a citizen of Big Blue Nation. He enjoys listening to many genres of music such as country and rap. An intermediate basketball star, he averages a double-double of points and fouls.