Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Top 5 Basketball Players in the Coach Klein Era

Ben Varga attacking the rim (Graham Krezmien)

5. Ben Varga

This dude is a straight baller. He not only earned 7th Region Player of the Year honors, but he was also the best player on the team, while being on the same team as Mehki Smith. That in itself is an achievement of a lifetime. Not to mention, he also led the state in 3 point field goals per game with 3.9.

Hudl highlights

Mekhi Smith goes up for a layup against Trinity player (Graham Krezmien)

4. Mekhi “The Possession Ends Here” Smith

I mean, you all knew he had to be up here. 39 points against Trinity in the Wills Center, which I’m sure all of you remember. Co-7th Region Player of the Year along with averaging 15.9 ppg and 4.2 rpg coming straight off a state championship in football. Mehki “The Possession Ends Here” Smith is a St. X legend and to me he shows traces of Rob Dillingham and prime Jameer Nelson.

No basketball Hudl highlights available

Pierce Kiesler holding up the district championship trophy (Graham Krezmien)

3. Pierce Kiesler

I tell you what, I had never heard of the name Pierce Kiesler until about a couple months ago but I gotta tell you… this guy was a straight dog. Kiesler’s Hudl highlights remind me of those YouTube videos you see of NBA players vs average Joe’s. On top of that, 18 ppg, 8 rpg, on an efficient 58% and 40% from 3 with 1,300 career points while being named a 2 time all-region player. He then went on to play 4 seasons at Florida Southern (Div. II).

Hudl highlights

Robert Shaw drives to the basket (Graham Krezmien)

2. Robert Shaw

One of St. X’s finest is, “The Chance Dillingham, before there was Chance Dillingham” – Jack Wheeler. He averaged a strong 20 ppg, 6apg, and 4 rpg as a point guard while scoring over 1,000 points in his 4 year span. Shaw’s career under Klein is nothing short of spectacular, but his career after is arguably more impressive. He went to Chicago St. (Div. I) where he averaged a solid 7.2 ppg. He is currently a trainer for NBA player Jevon Carter who currently plays for the Chicago Bulls.

Hudl highlights

Connor Mckim going up for a layup (Graham Krezmien)

1. Connor Mckim

Mckim is the clear top spot here for me. Senior year he put up almost 25 ppg while being pretty much 50/40/90 club is straight up 2k numbers in high school basketball. Over 1,000 career points along with winning the 2016 7th Region Player of the Year are the cherry on top of his high school basketball resume. He then went on to score over 1,000 points at Rollins College (Div. II) during his time as a 3 year starter.

Hudl highlights

About the Contributor
Graham Krezmien
Graham Krezmien, Staff Writer
Graham Krezmien, a 6'6 basketball player with is known for many talents including pressure washing his neighbors trash cans. Graham is also known for having one of the finest NBA minds in the entire school, being able to give information about players such as Christiano Felicio, Nick Young and Kyle O'Quinn. Graham also used to be able to do 360 dunks before he had knee problems (he has always had knee problems). Perhaps the most important information about Graham Krezmien is the fact that he has never won a game of bingo.