Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

Former Cardinal and Jet, Bilal Powell Joins Staff

Coach Powell posing in front of his new school (Photo courtesy of St. X Football)

The former Louisville Cardinal and nine year NFL veteran Bilal Powell has joined the football staff at Saint Xavier High School. After being in the fourth round by the New York Jets, he racked up over 3600 and 15 touchdowns rushing yards during his career.

He played with the Jets from 2011 until he retired in 2019. He started 38 out of 109 games and had his most successful season in 2017. He tallied 772 yards and 5 touchdowns. During that same season, he  averaged 5,5 yards per carry, which was second across the whole NFL.

In his first two college seasons with the Louisville Cardinals in 2007 and 2008, he contributed to both the offense and special teams. After a slow start at Louisville, he split the backfield during his junior season, but he led the whole team in rush attempts. But, Powell had his breakout season during his senior year.

He was named to the All Big East Conference first-team and was a fourth team All-American. He rushed for 1405 yards and 10 touchdowns during his senior season. His 1405 yards in a single season set a new school record for second all-time, and he was invited to the senior bowl as a result of this accomplishment. He was the 14th running back selected in the 2011 draft.

Now, Powell is a coach at St. X, and he is looking to bring his offensive experience to our football team.

About the Contributor
Gavin Metcalfe
Gavin Metcalfe, Staff Writer
Gavin Metcalfe is a senior and a master pickle ball player. He is a huge Kentucky sports fan and has been to approximately 45 basketball games at Rupp Arena. Gavin is also an expert fence builder, and contrary to popular belief, Gavin does not reside in the CMC. He also possesses an uncanny sense of direction.