Xavier News

Xavier News

Xavier News

The Rise Of Buc-ee’s

Buc-ee’s has gained so much popularity over the past couple of years. They have the biggest gas stations in the world and tower the industry now with 58 locations worldwide. They provide many different snacks that are great and so many gas pumps that you won’t have to wait forever. So how did this company gain so much popularity and where did they come from?

Buc-ee’s was established in 1982 by Arch “Beaver” Aplin II, a Texas A&M graduate who majored in construction science. He grew up in Harrisonburg, Louisiana, and was determined to grow up successful. When growing up he always used the starting at the bottom phrase to help motivate him. The other guy that helped form the business was Don Wasek. He originally didn’t make too many of the plans for the company but has done a lot in the grand scheme of things. He has worked behind the scenes and works as the general manager of the company now.

Arch used all of his time when he got out of college to plan out the company and start building the first Buc-ee’s in Clute, Texas. This gas station was built in 1982. It was huge for the town and Arch himself. He had made a big gas station as big that had a huge inside area but had a couple of gas pumps. It was a 3,000-square-foot food store and was massive. This was just the start of his massive breakthrough in the gas station industry.

The next step for the company was to expand the business to a national level. This wasn’t easy for many companies, because you have to have a lot of good business flowing all the time while being reliable and efficient. Arch knew that he had something that could take over the whole industry and he went after it. He built a second one in Texas, about the same size. It was built in Luling, Texas in 2003. It was huge and brought a lot of business to the town of about six thousand people. Now to the present, they have destroyed it and are currently building a new one over it that is going to be the largest in the world.

Going back to 2019 the company would decide to build the first Buc-ee’s out of state in Baldwin County, Alabama. The newer version of these gas stations is what he wanted to expand into. He now made his first 50,000-square-foot food store and 124 fueling position gas stations. Compared to the old versions this one was much newer and had one new exciting slogan coming with it. “ The cleanest bathrooms “ which was something odd but something to look forward to for travelers stopping by. It also included the food it’s known for today like the barbecue sandwiches, beef jerky, homemade fudge, and the Beaver Nuggets.

With 58 locations now and more coming, Buc-ee’s is now one of the most popular gas stations. If you’re driving and ever find yourself near Richmond, Kentucky know that Buc-ee’s is the go-to place now to stop, fill up, and grab a snack.

About the Contributor
Ty Ruttinger
Ty Ruttinger, Staff Writer

Ty Ruttinger is a senior at St. X. He plays golf for the team and loves friendly wagers on the course. His favorite food is the Baconator at Wendy’s. He loves watching UFC and Jake Paul boxing matches.