From The Vault: ACT — The Guide to a Perfect Score

March 7, 2022

Saint Xavier High School prides itself on academic excellence as well as college preparation. Currently (2020), the average composite ACT score is a proud 26.5 and in the past seven years, the St. X has had nineteen students achieve perfect scores. Five students currently walk the halls who have achieved this height. Representing the class of 2021 is Charles Brashear, Hillis Burns, and Carson Ching, while the class of 2020 has Logan Beaver and Anthony Mohr.

Logan Beaver is a Xavier Scholar and was voted team captain of the tennis team during his junior year. He intends to pursue a major of computer science at Georgia Tech. Beaver’s score shows a reflection of test preparation and knowledge of material.

“I learned from the test preparation that testing strategy is just as important as knowledge of the material,” Beaver stated. “Learning how to time yourself as well as when to give your brain a rest is vital for performance over a 3+ hour exam.”

There are many ways to prepare for the ACT, but rest is very important. Sleep is also a vital part of testing as it helps your brain work at full capacity.

“Contrary to what many may think, I found the week of the exam it was helpful to simply not practice,” said Beaver. “Give your brain a good 5-7 day rest before the exam. This allowed for me to mentally reset and prepare.”

Junior, Charles Brashear is a very active student, participating in the Ryken Service Club, National Honors Society, Environmental Club, Chinese Club, and KYA/KUNA. One of his goals is to work in business and technology. Brashear claims to have one key to success: practice.

Hillis Burns is a member of the National Honors Society and is involved on varsity lacrosse. Burns is involved in the Educational Justice Program; this program mentors students from the 5-8th grade level as they work to end educational injustice.

It is predominant to pace yourself during the exam because you will be on a time crunch. Taking the exam more than once will allow you to understand what you must focus on to be successful.

“My first piece of advice is to take as many practice exams as you can. That is the best way to get better at anything: practice,” Burns commented. “My second piece of advice is for the Math section specifically. Use your calculator for every single problem. It helps you keep track of everything and ensure that you make no mistakes.”

These students have shown what is possible through a St. X education. They have been focused and diligent in their studies as well as active in the community. Good luck to everyone who will be taking the ACT in the future.