Who was Al Horton?

Names adorn the school’s walls and doors, but have you ever wondered about the individuals behind them? This month, the St. X family mourns the loss of one of its own, Albert C. Horton, whose name graces our campus.

Albert C. Horton, a member of the first graduating class at the Poplar Level Road campus, attended St. X from 1958 to 1962. He distinguished himself as an exceptional swimmer, securing the state championship in the 200-meter relay in both 1961 and 1962, along with three team state championships. After graduating from St. X, he pursued higher education at St. Bonaventure University in New York before returning to Louisville to work at the Horton Fruit Company.

Alongside his wife Barbara, Albert raised three children but tragically lost their son Gray in a car accident in 1993. Gray Horton, a St. X graduate of 1988 and a University of Virginia alumnus of 1992, was known for his spirited leadership in both school and on the football field. To honor his memory, a memorial scholarship in Gray’s name was established, along with the A. Gray Horton ’88 Fieldhouse in 2007. Years later, Horton Lecture Hall (2018) and the Borders Commons Column (2021) were dedicated.

The Horton family at Gray’s graduation

Al Horton supported St. X as a volunteer, providing wise counsel and leadership on the Board of Directors. He was inducted into the Saint Xavier High School Alumni Hall of Honors in 2012 and was awarded the Outstanding Alumnus Award in 2017. With being a part of the St. X community for so long, Horton connected with a countless number of fellow alumni, students, and faculty.

One of those fellow alumni and faculty members was Coach Mike Glaser.

While Horton was on the board, Glaser was the Admissions Director, and with knowing each other through the school, Horton and Glaser found a strong bond through Horton’s son, Gray. During Gray’s time at St. X, Glaser was coaching football where they won a state championship in ’86. Horton went to just about every one of Gray’s games, where he’d see Glaser in action.

“He would do anything for anybody,” Coach Glaser said of Al Horton. “He was just such a giving, caring person who was always there for me. Al had such an impact on St. X, not only the giving, but his time and his genius. For the 50 years I’ve been here, he’s impacted so many decisions that have been made here over the years. He was an insightful, humble leader who was just great at thinking things out.”

Horton was a living example of the Xaverian charisms. He was strong in faith and often attended daily mass. He was devoted to his wife, children, and large extended family. Horton was known for his hard work and was well respected by the many he impacted.

The Horton name around St. X.

Now when you see the Horton name on campus, think of Al, his son Gray and their family. Be thankful for their faith in God and generous spirit.

About the Contributor
Bo Brumleve
Bo Brumleve, Staff Writer
Bo, a senior at St.X, is one of the co-presidents of the Ryken Service Club (best club at St.X) and is on the five time consecutive state champion lacrosse team. Outside of school, he often finds himself taking people's money in poker or playing guitar with his dad. Bo is a passionate Cards fan, who enjoys nothing more than cheering on his team and arguing with Cats fans. Bo is a people person, so if you see him in the halls, say hi!